There are some different ways one can improve their reading ability and learn how to be a good reader. A few of the strategies for reading which can be learned involve scanning, concept mapping and skimming techniques.
In the beginning when one is learning to improve their reading abilities, it’s best to start with the content scanning and then begin to move into the skimming strategies and finally, learn concept mapping techniques.
Here are some strategies for reading which will help you to become a good reader:
1) If you are reading something to learn how to do something or find out specific information, you should cut through any of the clutter. In doing this, you should still assess what it is that you are skipping over.
2) When reading, try to stress reading quality, not the number of pages which you are reading.
3) Adopt a positive reading attitude. The more that you read, the better you will get and the more you will develop. Really, the only way you will get better at reading is by actually reading.
4) When you read, try to keep a dictionary handy. If you can’t grasp a concept, it’s best to find out what word you did not understand. Then things will make more sense to you.
5) Try to find things you enjoy reading. Not only will you like the experience better, you will want to read more and therefore improve your reading skills even more.
6) If you’re reading to learn, it’s a good idea to learn to highlight or underline key concepts, words or sections so you can come back to it.
7) Set aside some time every day for reading. Even if it is only thirty to forty five minutes before bed time.
In life, there are certain skills essential to learning and developing ones over all personality. These are reading skills, speaking skills, listening skills and writing skills. If you can master these, you can learn things at an accelerated rate and the world is yours to understand. Remember that one of the most important things is to put in the time if you really want to know how to be a good reader.